Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Counting Your Blessings

It dawned on me yesterday how lucky I was compared to other people. It just hit me like a bullet when I saw the two naked kids running in front of me. Sometimes, I question myself why I don’t have what other people have and now I can clearly understand the answers to my question. Well, except from the obvious that I’m longing to have a baby of my own. The harsh picture of reality seeped into my senses and I perfectly get what GOD wanted to tell me. There are things that we don’t have but others have and vice versa. We may be childless and others have plenty of kids but there lies a line which I haven’t seen for a long time.

Though painful it may seem but you can’t have everything in this world right? This isn’t a perfect world as what they say.

I even cried thinking that this young mother of three though she may have all the kids in the world which I can’t even have. Though we have the means to feed those kids of hers wishing they were ours. Yet that seems to be a far fetched dream and until this point in time it’s still a wish waiting to be granted. I can always see those two bare naked kids perched on their window looking out for anyone who would pass by to notice their hungry faces. And maybe somehow, someone might give them a piece of bread or a little pack of biscuit. Lucky are those days when they would get one. At times, they would shout at the top of their voices to get the people’s attention and maybe even get a share of our food.

I can see on their faces they wish they can have those plastic loads of goodies to feed their hungry stomach. It came to mind that day that I should be thankful for all the graces we received. But those kids’ end, the food that they need for day to day food existence is so scarce that they would resort to calling our names to let them in our houses to eat a decent meal.

Reality bites. We have to look beyond what’s going on our surroundings to say a little prayer or too for the blessings we receive everyday. We always ask for more without even thinking that we have more than enough on our hands. Actually, it’s already full and at times we’re selfish asking for even more.

When others don’t have the comforts in life in which we have . Looking at those people living on the streets and begging for food; if you were on their shoes how would feel ? The basic necessities in life in which they don’t have. It’s an eye opener for everyone of us that we don’t wish for the sky because it’s enough to eat three times a day, have a cozy bed to sleep and a roof that covers our head. A loving parent, a wife or a husband who takes care of our needs and wants. Unlike those who are suffering poverty right this very moment when they have nobody to share their agony.

Well, everyday is a blessing from up ABOVE. Our very existence is a gift itself that we should thank daily that we are alive and given the opportunity to make a difference in other people’s lives. Yet it’s only but befitting to spare a few minutes of our time to thank GOD for the graces and blessings we receive. We can always be a blessing to anyone if we really want to. A sincere smile and a warm hug from a friend would always be welcome when you’re down and out. A simple hello would do or a helping hand to hold you tight when you’re sad and lonely.

At this point in our lives, hopefully each one of us no matter what color, religion, gender, young or old alike we can cross boundaries to be each other’s blessing.

It’s important to count your blessings because not everyone has what you have right now. Don’t tell yourself that you’re unlucky and give reasons for being so. You are what you make of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment